" I got you a beer." Max said as he pointed to the pint sat on the table. Harvey glimpsed at it before giving Max a brief nod...

Part 48 - Bad Desire: New Generation


"I got you a beer." Max said as he pointed to the pint sat on the table.

Harvey glimpsed at it before giving Max a brief nod, as though he was saying thank you but not really wanting to verbally express it.

There was clear tension between the two guys but both had a restraint on their words and actions. They knew there was no point in shouting or causing a scene, they just needed to have this conversation in the most civil way possible.

"I just want to start by saying sorry, for not telling you." Max began and for the first time ever, he actually looked slightly nervous, as he shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "I should have told you as soon as I found out you were seeing Grace. It was shit of me. I just didn't think."

"Yeah, it was shit." Harvey agreed. "You should have told me and Grace should have told me too. But what pissed me off the most, was that you did something like that to her. I can't believe that you just ran off when you found out Grace was pregnant, when you knew full well she was probably scared shitless too. That pregnancy wasn't just her responsibility, it was yours too Max. You fucked up, big time."

Hearing those words come from Harvey's mouth hit Max in a way he hadn't expected. He knew that he had messed up but hearing his friend say it with such disappointment in his voice, made it more real.

"I know, it was wrong..." Max began before Harvey cut him off.

"It was fucking cruel. She had to do all of it on her own. 

"At the time, I was selfish, man. I didn't even think about her or how she would be feeling and I know that's shit. I was just unsure and scared myself."

"But don't you think you should have talked to her about it? You could have supported each other rather than running off like an absolute twat."

Although Harvey knew that if things had started out differently, he and Grace may have never got together, but he still needed to point out what was right. He was angry at his friend for acting in such an immature way because not only did he care about Grace, but he had sisters too. To think that a guy could do that to them, made him absolutely fuming. Therefore, witnessing one of his friends be guilty of such an act, made it ten times worse.

"I realised that when I was away. It gave me time to think. Obviously I know that's no excuse and I should have done it sooner but I can't turn back time. I can only change things now." Max explained and there was a seriousness to his voice, something that Harvey was grateful of.

It was very rare these two sat down and shared a serious conversation. They usually acted like a bunch of clowns when they were together, so this was very new. However, it was a conversation they needed to have and one that Harvey was desperately hoping that his friend would benefit and learn from.

Harvey was about to make some tough decisions and he wanted to make sure he was making the right ones. That meant, Max couldn't mess up again and he would actually have to put in the effort to prove to Grace that he could be a good dad for Brinley.

"You're right, you can't change the past but you can make sure you put in the fucking work for Grace and Brinely now." Harvey insisted as he looked Max in the eye. "Take the chance that Grace is giving you here, man."

"I will. I'm gonna try and do right this time. But I'm fucking terrified of messing up again. This is all new to me."

"It was all new to her too." 

"Yeah, I know..." Max trailed off, realising that Harvey had a point.

"Brinley's amazing, Max. Trust  me. When you see her, she'll make it the easiest thing you've ever done. You'll wanna be good for her." 

Max hoped that Harvey was right. He didn't know anything about the innocent little girl but he did know that his friend adored her. Harvey had bonded with Brinley in an incredibly short amount of time and now Max was feeling the pressure to do the same. 

He was prepared to do what he could to make it work but he also knew that he wasn't Harvey Lawrence. He wasn't a natural when it came to kids or babies. He wasn't one to settle or know the true mannerisms of a gentleman. He was a bit of a lad, who surrounded his life with partying, girls and alcohol, while being as selfish as he liked.

It would be a challenge, and only time would tell if he could use his second chance wisely.

"What's happening with you though? Have you spoken to Grace?" Max asked, knowing full well that he hadn't, after the fuss she had made earlier.

"No, not yet." Harvey shook his head, without giving a whole lot away.

"Are you planning to?"

"Well yeah, obviously."

It was clear that Harvey was holding back but Max wasn't quite sure why. He wanted to push his friend for more but he also knew he wasn't really in the position to do so right now.

"She asked about you when I saw her earlier. She seemed worried." Max said, while actively watching out for Harvey's reaction.

"I just needed a bit of time to figure stuff out. This whole thing is weird and fucked up. You have a baby with my girlfriend..."

"I know, it's a mess. But I don't want you to do anything you don't want to because of it."

Max had a rough idea what was going through his friend's head at this point, so was urging the conversation that way, without saying it out loud. However, Harvey was also very clued up to the fact that although Max was willing to mature, he was still the same troublesome guy.

"You know that the whole bro code thing applies, right? Girlfriends, exes, it doesn't matter, it applies." Harvey said with a look of warning, causing a challenging grin to appear across Max's face.

"I was there first though, remember? So didn't you already break it?"

"You're a fucking twat." Harvey exasperated while shaking his head, wanting to laugh but also not wanting Max to think he was giving him any kind of green light here. "I mean what I said."

"Got it." Max nodded his head, yet that smug look was still lingering and definitely put Harvey slightly on edge.

**



0 comments:

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews