"You went through my phone." Matt stated matter of factly, as though Juliet was going to turn around and try to deny it. ...

Part 6 - Bad Desire: New Generation




"You went through my phone." Matt stated matter of factly, as though Juliet was going to turn around and try to deny it. However, that seemed stupid considering she already knew that Todd had likely passed on the news almost immediately.

"I'm sorry. Sophie asked and I couldn't say no. She deserved to know what was going on." 

"I'm not saying she didn't but Todd was going to do it in his own time, his own way. It was none of your business to get involved in."

"So what, I was just supposed to tell Sophie no? Tell her to just wait and see what happens?" Juliet argued back, annoyed at how angry Matt was with her. 

"Yeah, that's exactly what you should have done. Todd's pissed at you, you know? And now I'm taking the backlash for it." 

Juliet watched as Matt began pacing back and forth with his phone clung in his hand. She could see Todd's name flash across the screen yet Matt continued to ignore it. One phone call from him had clearly been all he could take for now, yet leaving it was only going to make him more annoyed.

"I'm sorry, okay?!" Juliet yelled while throwing her arms out to the side. "I was doing what I would have wanted her to do for me."

"But you knew how she would react."

"Then why is he doing it?"

Juliet wasn't trying to take sides. She didn't fully understand what Todd was like when in the gang life but Sophie did, and clearly it wasn't pretty. If Todd wanted to be apart of it all again, then that was fair enough in her eyes but being sneaky about it probably wasn't the best option to take.

"Because he's helping us out." Matt answered simply, as though that was going to be a good enough explanation.

"Then why didn't he tell her that?"

"You did the job for him and now look what it's caused. He couldn't tell her without her losing her shit over it."

"I don't understand why I'm the one getting all the blame here! I was just trying to do what was right. I'm not trying to pick sides!" Juliet stressed, wishing she had never had answered the phone in the first place.

"Because you got involved and went through my phone. This counts as gang business, Juliet."

As Juliet threw her hands over her chest and suddenly went quiet, Matt instantly realised that none of this was going to be easy. She had pissed him off, he had now done the same to her and Todd was fuming at Juliet, yet was currently taking it all out on him, as though he controlled his wife.

"Just answer this and tell him you're sorry. He won't get off my back." Matt bit while he handed his phone over to Juliet, causing her to look down at it with a frown across her face.

"No thank you, I'm not speaking to him."

"Just say you're sorry and be done with it. It'll be one less issue to deal with."

"No. You know full well he'll just yell down the phone and won't listen anyway. You speak to him." Juliet pushed it back towards him, causing Matt to let out an aggravated sigh.

Lifting the phone to his ear, he took a breath, ready to deal with whatever Todd was going to say.

"Tell your damn wife I said congratulations." Todd spat, not even saying 'hello' or waiting for Matt to say a word.

"Why? What's going on?" Matt asked, trying to understand where his brother was going with this.

"Because she just lost me my damn job."

"Wait, what?"

"Yeah, my own fucking girlfriend fired me."

"Shit, man. She's that pissed at you?"

"I said she would be. This is why I told you not to let Juliet know because she can't keep her damn mouth shut. How have you still not learned how things work in this gang world? You've been in it long enough."

"I didn't tell her, did I?" Matt snapped back, not in the mood to have Todd going off on him over something that had been completely out of his control. "And it wasn't her fault either. You're the one who should have dealt with this sooner. You should have known Soph would have figured it out. She's not stupid."

"And I was going to, my own way but your wife opened her big mouth and beat me to it." Todd bit back, only causing Matt to feel his whole body tense.

"Todd, don't start."

The last thing these two needed was to kick-start an argument which could send them straight back to square one all over again. They had just managed to get past their differences yet something like this had the ability to make all of their making up go to complete waste.

"Are you still there?" Matt asked when the phone had gone too quiet. 

"Yeah..."

"What are you going to do?"

"I don't have a clue." Todd answered honestly as he was currently stood in his office, staring at all of his belongings, which he had been told to pack up.

"Well, I think you should just stick to the plan and help us. Sophie will come around." Matt suggested causing Todd to start laughing.

"This is exactly why I was the one who ended up with her and not you. You don't have a fucking clue how she works, do you?"

What Matt really wanted to do in that moment was stick his middle finger up in front of Todd's face however, considering he couldn't see him, that wasn't at all possible. So instead, he just had to take it.

"You figure it out then and let me know. Because we need your help and you already booked your flights and hotel."

"Yeah well wish me luck then and in the meantime, tell your wife to stop butting in on my business and yours. Since when did you let your girl get involved in this shit?"

Matt glimpsed over to Juliet who had clearly heard the whole conversation, and who had been dying to get her own word in.

"He didn't let me." Juliet mocked, taking her chance. "I looked in his phone but none of this is my fault, it's yours. Like you said, you know what Sophie's like. You knew she would hate this."

"I didn't think she would damn well fire me, did I?"

"Well no but..."

"But we're wasting precious time." Matt jumped in before another argument was able to start. "Speak to Sophie then let me know."

"Speak to her? You say it like it's that easy. She won't be negotiating."

"Well now is a good time for you to use that Todd charm that you claim you have on the girl." Matt mocked, now feeling satisfied in getting him back for Todd's previous comment.





0 comments:

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews